National Migration Week
From September 19-25, 2022, the Catholic Church in the United States celebrates National Migration Week. The theme for this year's celebration is "Building the future with migrants and refugees," the same theme chosen for the World Day of Migrants and Refugees (WDMR), which is celebrated on Sunday, September 25.
"The arrival of Catholic migrants and refugees can energize the ecclesial life of the communities that welcome them. Often, they bring an enthusiasm that can revitalize our communities and enliven our celebrations. Sharing different expressions of faith and devotions offers us a privileged opportunity for experiencing more fully the catholicity of the People of God," Pope Francis said in this year's WDMR message.
Pope Francis emphasized that no one is excluded from God's plan: "God’s plan is essentially inclusive and gives priority to those living on the existential peripheries. Among them are many migrants and refugees, displaced persons, and victims of trafficking. The Kingdom of God is to be built with them, for without them it would not be the Kingdom that God wants."
Read the pope's full message for the 108th World Day of Migrants and Refugees:
There are currently more than 70 million people around the world who have been forcibly displaced from their homes due to political instability, violence, or other reasons.
Ways to commemorate National Migration Week
- Inquire at Catholic Charities Maine about volunteer opportunities, including teaching English to newcomers.
- Join in cultural celebrations hosted by parishes.
- Use social media to help educate family members and friends about the importance of supporting members of the refugee / immigrant community.
- Pray that God will inspire all Christians to support and protect migrants and to advocate on their behalf.
- Pray for all refugees who are forced to flee from their homes, that God bring peace to them, their families, and their country of origin.
- Catholic Charities Maine Refugee & Immigration Services
- Catholic Charities Maine American Friends Program and RIS Mentoring Program
- Pope Francis' Message for the 107th World Day of Migrants and Refugees - 2021
- Pope Francis's Message for the 106th World Day of Migrants and Refugees - 2020
- Pope Francis' Message for the 105th World Day of Migrants and Refugees - 2019
- Prayer for Migrants & Refugees
- USCCB Justice for Immigrants Website