The Diocese of Portland has three Catholic high schools. One-thousand eight students are enrolled in grades 9 - 12 at either St. Dominic Academy, Cheverus High School or McAuley High School.
St. Dominic Academy serves both young men and women. It was founded in 1941 and was originally run by the Brothers of Sacred Heart, but was turned over to the diocese in 1966. Construction on a new high school campus in Auburn began in 2000 and, in January 2002, the new school opened. Formerly St. Dominic Regional High School, in July 2010, it merged with Trinity Catholic School to form St. Dominic Academy and now serves students in grades pre-kindergarten through 12.
Cheverus High School, overlooking Back Cove in Portland, is an accredited Catholic college preparatory school operated by the Jesuits. It was built in 1917 as a diocesan school, but became a Jesuit school in 1942. Cheverus is committed to educating the students of Maine according to the 460-year-old Jesuit tradition of excellence in education. Orginally a boys school, it is now co-ed, with 542 students in grades 9-12.
Catherine McAuley High is a college preparatory school for young women, which is sponsored by the Sisters of Mercy. The school is committed to academic excellence within the Judeo-Christian tradition and the spirit and mission of Catherine McAuley, Foundress of the Sisters of Mercy. The school, located on Stevens Avenue in Portland, aims to educate young women so that they are able to lead, but also willing to serve others.