Father Harold Nicknair
Please pray for the repose of the soul of Rev. Harold W. Nicknair, 84, a priest of the Diocese of Portland, who died Tuesday, May 5, 2015, in Maine.
Harold Willie Joseph Nicknair was born in Winterville on August 7, 1930, the son of William J. and Julie (Gagnon) Nicknair. After completing his clerical studies at St. John’s Seminary, Brighton, MA, he was ordained to the priesthood on February 2, 1961, by the Most Reverend Daniel J. Feeney, Seventh Bishop of Portland.
During his years of active, full-time ministry, Fr. Harold Nicknair served in the following parishes/assignments:
- St. Bernard Parish, Rockland – Assistant Pastor (1961-64)
- St. Louis Parish, Limestone – Assistant Pastor (1964-67)
- St. John the Evangelist Parish, South Portland – Assistant Pastor (1967-71), also serving as a Newman Chaplain at SMVTI, South Portland (1968-71)
- Sacred Heart Parish, Auburn – Assistant Pastor (1971-74)
- St. Peter Parish, Bingham – Temporary Administrator, Administrator & Pastor (1974-76)
- St. Bartholomew Parish, Cape Elizabeth – Pastor (1976-81)
- St. Anne Parish, Gorham – Pastor (1981-88), also serving as the Associate Pastor and Newman Chaplain to University of Southern Maine, Gorham (1981-88)
- St. John the Evangelist Parish, South Portland – Pastor (1988-1996), after which time he continued to serve as a “retired” priest of the diocese, also spending part of the year in Florida.
In addition to the above assignments, Fr. Harold Nicknair also served in the following capacities:
- Chaplain to the Knights of Columbus Council #2851, Limestone (1964-67)
- Chaplain to the Daughters of Isabella, Regina Coeli Circle D, Limestone (1965-67)
- Member of the Priests’ Senate (One term, 1973-75)
- Vicar Forane / Dean of Southern Cumberland Deanery (Two terms, from 1977-82) and Northern Cumberland Deanery (fill an unexpired term plus one additional term, from 1984-88)
- Member of the Governing Board, Saint Joseph’s Manor (Two terms from 1979-84)
- Columbian Squires of the Knights of Columbus Council #8144, St. John the Evangelist Parish, South Portland
Please pray for the consolation of his family and friends.
May Fr. Harold’s soul, and the souls of all the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace.